Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How Do We Best Support Local Farmers?

The following is an email that I sent to Perth Wellington MP Gary Schellenberger (cc'd to Legacy Pork) in response to this press release, dated May 1, 2010:


Good morning.

My name is Laurie Knechtel. I am a resident of Perth County and a passionate member of Slow Food Perth County and supporter of our local farmers.

Yesterday, I was apprised of news that "Canada's Economic Action Plan is delivering real results for hog farmers and the meat processing sector in Ontario..." read full article here.

After reading the news, I went straight to a couple of my online agricultural networks to ask about Great Lakes Specialty Meats in Mitchell, ON. I was informed that this operation is part of Quality Meats and markets under the Legacy Pork brand, which led me to the Legacy website for more information.

On the website, Legacy makes the following claim: "All of our LEGACY Pork comes from Canadian farmers, many of which are family run farms that take extra care in raising their pigs." But they don't list the farmers they claim to support.

I understand that there is a need to protect farmers' privacy. However, increasingly these days, consumers want to know the source of their food. I personally am not satisfied with a conglomerate assuring me that their product is sourced exclusively from within our borders, be they national, provincial or regional.

My real concern comes with the $4.5 million and how that will actually benefit local farmers. Who really benefits from expanded markets? I believe the real concern with farmers is not reaching additional markets, but receiving a fair wage for their work and their product(s) in the markets they already serve.

It seems the gov't is forcing the small abattoirs out of business, claiming to support them by making available a mere fraction of the funds they require to upgrade and save their respective businesses. If allowed to remain open, these are the businesses that would truly benefit local producers by permitting them to market their own product and receive fair compensation for their hard work.

So I implore you - please do not spin this story into one that purports to help local farmers. Now and in the future, please take the time to listen to them and understand what they really need, and respond accordingly.

When dissected, this story sounds like a victory for the lobbyists in Ottawa, not the family farms of Perth County and beyond.

Respectfully,
Laurie Knechtel



Looking forward to starting/continuing meaningful conversation...

No comments:

Post a Comment